Identity card

This page provides information on the electronic identity card and Kids-ID.

  1. Last updated on


General guidelines

  • registration in the consular registers is obligatory for the application of a new eID/Kids-ID via the Embassy.
  • Since 21/06/2021, new biometric eIDs/Kids-IDs have been introduced. These must be ordered in person and by appointment, due to the collection of biometric data (photo, fingerprints and signature) imposed by European legislation.
    This does not apply for applications regarding children younger than 6 years.
  • General information on the new eID and Kids-ID (as off 21/06/2021) can be found here on the FPS Foreign Affairs website
  • The Embassy uses the local rates (see below).
  • A new card can still be sent to you by post. This must be done by registered mail for security reasons. You will have to pay the cost of registered mail (see rates).
  • For more information on the eID (or its use), please consult the website of the Federal Public Service Home Affairs (available in NLFRDE).

Electronic aspect of the eID / Kids-ID

eIDs can be used for electronic identification. The electronic chip of the eID/KIDS-ID is not activated by default at the time of delivery, due to legal provisions and security reasons.

You can have the card activated during your next visit to Belgium at the population service of a Belgian commune or at the Embassy in Oslo (by appointment), provided that you can present both the card and the accompanying PUK/PIN letter. Only the holder of an eID, even if he or she is a minor, can have the card activated. The card can only be activated in the personal presence of the cardholder.

Applying for a new eID/Kids-ID

  • Book an appointment via our online booking system.
    (Minors from the age of 6 and adults)
  • You bring a filled out appointment form during your visit. When applying for an eID card for minors, both (!) parents or the legal guardian must sign the form.
  • For Kids-ID's for children less than 6 years old, please forward us the filled out application form, signed by both (!) parents or the legal guardian (proof required), two recent passport photos (45mm x 35mm) in colour and proof of payment (see rates) by post or in person (appointment).
  • All forms are available on our 'forms' page.
  • Your current identity card must be submitted. If you no longer have your old ID-card, see Loss/Theft (see below).
  • Is your current eID still valid? You can keep your current card until the new one is available. When you send us your old eID/Kids-ID, make sure to cut the card in two.

Applying for an eID/KIDS-ID elsewhere

Belgian citizens, registered in the consular registers, can also apply for an eID/KIDS-ID in:

  • In Belgium, in the last commune of residence;
  • In Belgium, in the commune of birth (if never having resided in Belgium);
  • In Belgium, in a commune of choice (if never having resided in Belgium nor was born in Belgium);

Please note that applying for an eID/KIDS-ID via a Belgian commune is more costly (about 100 EUR). Please contact the respective commune for the practicalities.

Delivery time

Traditionally, 3-4 weeks after ordering at the Embassy/Consulate, excluding registered mail.


You can find an overview of the rates and payment options here.


  • Contact DOCSTOP
  • Report it to the local police station where the card was lost or stolen.
  • Send us the completed theft/loss report (available in NL (PDF, 99.74 KB)FR (PDF, 103.32 KB)) together with your report from the local police station.

Ordering a new PUK code

Do you no longer have the PUK letter that came with it? You can always order a new PUK code on the FPS Home Affairs website (available in NLFR and DE).

Attention: The PUK letter is sent to the Embassy/commune that initially issued the card.

Foreign addresses on the eID

The home address of every Belgian resident in Belgium is registered in the Belgian National Register and is entered on the eID by the commune concerned.

The home address of Belgians living abroad and registered in the consular register is also registered in the Belgian National Register, but the home address cannot be entered on the eID for technical reasons. For Belgians abroad, the eID, when read, only shows the consular post of registration and its respective postcode (e.g. for Norway/Iceland, only 0250 Oslo appears). The Embassy cannot adjust or correct this.

Belgians registered in the consular register who need to prove their address abroad, are advised to obtain a consular certificate of residence.