- Who is eligible to take on sponsorship?
- General guidelines
- Required documents
- Processing time
Who is eligible to take on sponsorship?
The royal decree of 13/10/2021 limits potential sponsors residing in Norway and Iceland of a student in Belgium to family members up to the third decree of the respective student.
Exception: This does not apply if the sponsor is a citizen/resident of Belgium or another EU member state.
The family bond up to the third degree must be proven via authentic and official documents (eg. legalized birth certificates, written confirmation by the national authorities confirming the family connection in detail, etc…).
In absence of sufficient proof or presence of reasonable doubt of the family bond, the sponsorship cannot be continued.
- The engagement of financial sponsorship requires a PERSONAL visit, based on a prior appointment to the Embassy in Oslo.
- The engagement of financial sponsorship is to be signed by, and only by, the Ambassador or, in his/her absence, his/her appointed replacement. Therefore, in the event of a visit without appointment, the Embassy reserves itself the right to refuse this service.
- Whilst the document itself is free of charge, your signature, as a sponsor, needs to be legalized. The legalization of your signature comes at a consular tax (See rates).
- The student will require the original, legalized sponsorship document as part of his/her visa application. It’s the sponsor’s own responsibility to deliver the document to the student.
- Form Annex 32 (Dutch/French only)
Reminder: The document can only be signed at the Embassy. If you sign the document before your appointment, you’ll have to fill in a new version.
- Original certified copy of the student’s passport. The student is to present his/her passport to his respective authorities for a certified copy. This certified copy in its original form needs to be presented at the Embassy.
Scans or copies of the certified copy will not be accepted.
- Proof of income, in specific:
- If employed: three latest salary slips, joined by written confirmation by the employer that the work contract is at least one academic year.
- If self-employed: a document by the Norwegian/Icelandic authorities stating the monthly/yearly netto/bruto income.
- If the financial sponsorship concerns a student, proof of admission to a Belgian educational institution
- As a sponsor you need to present your passport
- Proof of family bond, if applicable (ref. info royal decree 13/10/2021)
Assuming your application is complete, the legalized document will be, after being signed and legalized, returned to you immediately. Appointments depend on the availability of the Ambassador or his/her appointed replacement.
A listing of our rates and methods of payment is available here.